Sedona – Early History
The story a long time before used name Sedona
The story of the area doesn’t have its roots in Sedona, that T.C. Schnebly named following his wife within 1902. Rather, the history had its starting in Oak Creek Canyon, in which Glenn Kilbourne and Carley Burch, the primary figures in Zane Grey’s The Call with the Canyon, were living and liked under pending, rock walls and whispering pines.
A long time before Grey hunted, caught and authored within the wild and lonely canyon, nevertheless, the 1st settler to attention the call, J.J. Thompson, claimed property below our country’s 1862 Homestead Act. Within 1876, Thompson took squatter’s legal rights to some parcel of land across through present day Indian Gardens Store, in which a year previously, scouts from Fort Verde now, Camp Verde, had captured a small band of Tonto Apache Indians.
When Thompson took his land, he found the Indians deserted gardens and a healthy spring, that encouraged him to build a log cabin. He called his home Indian Gardens Ranch. However, afterwards he shortened it to Indian Landscapes. Following Thompson homesteaded within the canyon, more settlers heard the call, and they found raise horses and cattle. They will dig irrigation ditches so that they could plant crops, too especially. They will establish orchards. Throughout the following decades, trails and cow paths within the canyon grew to become dirt roads, which attracted lots more people. One of these simple earlier residents had been Frank Pendley, that had become the noticeably farmer within the good reputation for Oak Creek Canyon simply because their pioneer spirit and engineering abilities enabled him to create a cutting-edge irrigation system. They have been successful where lots of other people had not done the extent which their apples and pears had been sold at markets in Jerome, Cottonwood, Phoenix and Los Angeles. Truth is, Pendley’s irrigation system still is utilized with Slide Rock State Park, website of his early homestead.
South of J.J. Thompson’s recently named Indian Gardens, the Abraham James family gained the excellence for being the 1st residents of the immediate community, that was likely to be called Camp Garden, after which Sedona. James, this wife and son moved within 1879, as well as apparently James may be the guy this community could say thanks to for making it a popular visitor attraction a lot more than a hundred years later. Of course, James would be a prolific originator with place names, specifically for that community’s spectacular red-rock structures.
Nevertheless, Dr. Jesse Walter Few from the Smithsonian Institute additionally deserves credit, simply because following naming the 2 biggest cliff dwellings in this region Palatki and Honanki in 1895, this archaeologist forecasted that Red Rock Country would turn out to be very popular with visitors.
For James, based on records remaining through old-timers, this individual named Bell Rock, Steamboat Rock, Court Rock and Church Rock. Many years later, Court Rock and Church Rock grew to become Courthouse Rock and Cathedral Rock, and also the names had been corrected regarding the rock structures.
Throughout the exact same year which Thompson settled within Oak Creek Canyon, 1876, Beaver Head Stage Station had been built near Dry Beaver Creek, twelve miles south from the now’s Sedona. This particular station had been on the early road from Winslow to Yuma, that branched from the route of the items ended up being to function as the Santa Fe Railroad and Hwy 66. Later, a tough road extended in the stage station to Big Park, that was called village of Oakcreek within 1968. Right here, the street ongoing north towards the area which was to become Sedona, and in addition, it branched west to Red Rock, funds on Oak Creek greatest referred to as the region in between that which was being referred to as Red Rock Crossing and today’s Red Rock State Park.
John Lee settled nearby the traversing simultaneously because Thompson claimed land in Oak Creek Canyon, and Margaret Ann Jackson created 1876 a much more significant year within these locations historical past whenever your woman had become the first white lady to live on lower Oak Creek. Furthermore, Henry Schuerman acquired a 160-acre plantation south of Lee’s property, in which the state park is situated, in 1884.
Because the history of the community’s early record goes, T.C. and Sedona, Schnebly had been drawn to Upper Oak Creek or Camp Garden both names had been getting used in those days. Strangely, these types of names had been completely suitable because in the past one hundred years, unnumbered families and people are already drawn here through the raving information of friends and relatives. When it comes to T.C. and Sedona, it had been T.C’s brother, Dorsey Ellsworth Schnebly, that discovered Red Rock Country whilst looking for a perfect climate and atmosphere with regard to their wellness. Based on the documented testimony associated with Ellsworth Schnebly, son of T.C. and Sedona, their uncle was inspired through the breakthrough of imposing red rocks interfused along with forested greenery, in addition to vast acreage encompassed by winding, clear Oak Creek.
Getting bought an 80-acre site through Frank Owenby following traveling coming from Kansas in late 1901, T.C. constructed a good-looking house along with 2 stone fire places nearby the area of present-day Los Brigades Resort and Tlaquepaque Crafts and arts Village. So when residents of the small settlement complained to T.C. regarding slow and infrequent mail service, he instantly applied for that establishment of the post office.
Numerous reports reveal that T.C. suggested calling the post office Schnebly Station, then Red Rock Crossing as well as Oak Creek Station and many of those reports suggest that what they are called weren’t accepted through the government simply because they were too much time to suit on the cancellation stamp. Consequently, T.C’s brother, Dorsey Ellsworth, considered posting the naming of T.C’s wife, Sedona. And after telling T.C. which from the person, there is a personality who will stand well like a symbol for that community, he considered Sedona and said, You are going to take a town named once you.
Postal officials accepted the name Sedona, as well as on June 26, 1902, the post office is at business at the back of the Schnebly home.